Monday, September 14, 2015

Labour leadership.

It all seems to be about Jeremy Corbyn, but am I alone in thinking that we should pay more attention to Tom Watson, who was elected as his deputy.  I've a feeling that he will be the front man, while Corbyn stays more in the background.  Does it matter? Well, yes I think it does.  Corbyn is a conviction politician - we know exactly what he stands for, and he's unlikely to change his position. But Watson is a career politician - he will always have his eye on the main chance and what best suits his ambitions - and I'm sure he would say what is best for the party. And that sort of person is always more difficult to read.  A lot will depend on what sort of team Corbyn chooses as his shadow cabinet, but my feeling is - watch Watson.

No comments: