Thursday, October 09, 2014

The robots are taking over...

Apparently supermarkets are extending the use of their self-service checkouts - I suppose you can't blame them, you don't have to pay wages to a machine.  I never use them - or to be more accurate, I have only ever used them once or twice when I was accompanied by one of my granddaughters, who insisted we do it, and led me by the hand.  Why don't I use them?  Well, firstly my shopping tends to include booze of one sort or another, which means that I would have to find an assistant who can press the appropriate button or whatever to verify I am allowed to buy it, but mainly because I am very wary of the "computer says no" syndrome.  It would be very embarrassing (to me at least) to have to find someone to sort out a problem at an automated checkout, whereas at a manned checkout any difficulty can be dealt with without too much of a fuss.  Or perhaps I just like the human interaction - you know, "cold this morning isn't it?" sort of thing.  I'm not a luddite - I even have a smartphone now (although I don't use - or understand - a tenth of what it can do) but I can't bring myself to even think of using one of those checkouts.

No comments: