Wednesday, October 08, 2014

It's my life...!

It seems if you have half a bottle of wine a day you are a "heavy drinker" or even, heaven help us, a "mild alcoholic".  Well, that puts me in my place - which is obviously right down there in the gutter!  So the next time I go to see my doctor, I fully expect he will mention this new drug which is supposed to block the receptors in the brain which register the pleasure you get from drinking, thus reducing the urge to have "another one".  I shall politely but firmly say "No, thank you".  Why?  Well lots of reasons - not least that I am 77 and by their definition have been a heavy drinker (or, God help me, a mild alcoholic) for at least the last 40 years, and am in pretty good physical health for my age, so clearly my body can cope with that level of alcohol. But that's not the main reason.  I demand the right to choose - to choose when and what I eat and drink and do generally, and I would object to that choice being interfered with by medication.  I am in control of my body, and wish to remain so.

No comments: