Thursday, August 30, 2007

The London plane is now landing at Aberdeen..

I was stationed in Germany for part of my National Service, and arranged for my mother to come over for a holiday. I said I would meet her plane at Düsseldorf airport. I knew Düsseldorf quite well, and had seen signs in the city centre pointing to "Flughafen" and in my naïvity thought that the airport must be just outside the city - if I give myself an hour, I thought, I could walk it. Of course, it didn't work out that way - after walking for an hour or so, there was still no sign of the airport, and I ended up having to get a taxi, and being late getting there, which didn't impress my mum much. I now realise however that it could have been much worse - it appears that some of these budget airlines are purporting to fly you to cities, when in reality the airport they are using is nowhere near. There's an airport called Frankfurt Hahn, which is some 70 miles away from Frankfurt, and the latest example is an airport which wants to call itself Madrid Sur, despite the city of Madrid being no less than 125 miles away. So it pays to read the small print!

No comments: