Friday, August 31, 2007

The times they are a-changin'.

I'm not against change, provided there's a good reason, but change for the sake of change annoys me. Recently my local supermarket decided to move everything round, which, for me at least, created chaos - suddenly nothing was where I expected it to be. When I enquired why they had done this, the answer I got was "we felt it was time for a makeover". I was less than impressed. Now it's "Ready Steady Cook", a programme which I've watched and enjoyed over many years. Frankly it's never been quite the same since Fern Britten left, but I had just about got used to the more in-your-face showmanship of Ainsley Harriott, and his completely unneccessary and annoying antics with the contestants ("So, June, you are a leading light in your local operatic society - come on, give us an aria....") But now they've gone and changed the set and the format to introduce more "audience-participation". And why? What used to be a useful programme about cooking has now become more a programme about people, with cookery simply the peg to hang it on. Why can't they just leave things alone?

No comments: