Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Football - theirs and ours

Anybody stay up Sunday night and watch the SuperBowl? I need my beauty sleep these days, but it used to be an annual ritual - a pot of hot chilli beef simmering on the stove, and a stock of beers chilling in the fridge. The continuous advertising breaks got on my nerves, but I used to enjoy the game itself - a bit like living chess. Where I think we could learn a thing or two from American Football is the way they have structured the game to try and make sure that no one team dominates for more than a season or two. So very different from the Premiership, where before a ball is kicked you know that there are only at best four or five teams in with a realistic chance of winning - and it tends to be the same four or five teams season after season.

No comments: