Thursday, August 16, 2018

Decision time.

I think Ben Stokes is a lucky lad.  Whatever the law says, it is clear he got drunk and became involved in - perhaps even instigated - a public punch-up.  Certainly not the type I'd want living next door to me.  So, should he be welcomed back into the fold and play for England?  We've gone down this road before - to what extent does being chosen to play for your country - whatever the sport - carry with it an expectation that you are a person of a certain character?  The fact that I don't find him a particularly pleasant person doesn't alter the fact that he's a talented cricketer and on that basis alone, should be considered for inclusion in the team.  The ECB will have to consider whether he has brought the game into disrepute, and if so, what to do about it, but I'd have him in my team. whilst keeping a careful eye on him.

No comments: