Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Hold the front page!

I'm a bit worried about this Harvey Weinstein business - yes I know this is a US matter but I have an uncomfortable feeling that, had he been British, much the same things would be happening over here.  For those who haven't been following the news, Mr Weinstein is a film producer who has been fired from his own company - the company he founded - and Hollywood stars are lining up to dump on him. Why?  Well, there's the problem.  Certain allegations of sexual harassment have been made against him.  Note that word - allegations - and at the moment that's all they are They may be true - they may not.  They may be partly true, or a matter of misunderstanding or exaggeration.  There are plenty of them - but quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.  So what we have here is simply trial by media - they've decided he's guilty and that's that.  And like I say, I can imagine the same thing happening over here.  And that makes me feel uncomfortable.

No comments: