Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Each to his own.

I think I've mentioned before that, many years ago, I took a course in Indian cookery, and one of the recurring ingredients was coriander.  I used to get it in bunches from a local Asian supermarket, and my wife and I would spend a happy half-hour or so at the kitchen table stripping the leaves from the stems ready for use. But it appears that everybody is not a fan - there are those it seems who have a particular genetic mutation which means that for them the herb taste nasty - somewhat like soap.  Pret A Manger, the high street sandwich shop has come under fire for its liberal use of what is described by these people as "the devil's herb".  The Americans of course call it cilantro, but I don't think that helps.  You either like it or you don't.  Presumably the Indians do?

No comments: