Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Bizniz in't it?

There's a corner-shop I regularly visit.  I'm not that keen on the family that run it, for various reasons. I certainly wouldn't fancy them as next-door neighbours, but as shopkeepers they are the bees' knees. Can't ask for the wrong thing and if they haven't got it, they will get it for you, and their prices are lower than most of the competition.  Why am I telling you this?  Well the government is coming under fire for cosying up to China - we want to make them one of our main trading partners, but of course their "human rights" record leaves a lot to be desired, and in many people's opinion this means that we should have nothing to do with them.  But should I stop patronising that corner-shop because those running it are not particularly nice people (as I see it anyway).  Should I go elsewhere and pay more for an inferior service?  No - their worth as traders and their worth as human beings are quite separate.  I often find in arguments such as these that it pays to look at the situation the other way round - if a delightful family were to open a shop charging over the odds and with a "sorry, we don't stock that" approach, would I shop there just because they are so nice?  Let's be serious - if trading with China is advantageous, let's go for it - we don't have to be best friends.

No comments: