Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Which box shall we tick?

Every few years I seem to have to come back to the subject of diabetes.  I, as I have mentioned before, am a type-2 diabetic, and now it seems that I, and all the other type-2s are being blamed for potentially "bankrupting" the NHS.  This warning has come from Diabetes UK, the leading charity in the field.  So do I feel guilty? Well, no, not really.  I find the whole business somewhat Kafkaesque.  It wasn't as if I went to the doctor complaining of not feeling well, and he diagnosed the condition. What happened is that, quite out of the blue, I was called in to see the doctor who told me that, on the basis of a blood test I had taken some years previously, he suspected that I had the condition, and it all snowballed from that.  At no time have I felt anything other than fine.  I was talking to an old family friend, who is a long-retired GP and who told me that in his opinion, this was all part of a modern trend whereby the medical profession feel the need to stick labels on things.  He said that back in his day, he would have probably told me that my blood-sugar was a bit high and that I should steer clear of very sugary foods, but that he wouldn't have thought it necessary to put me on medication, and certainly would not have used the word diabetic.  So is this "huge rise" (Diabetes UK's phrase) in diabetes cases any more than a matter of semantics?

No comments: