Monday, July 27, 2015

So that's what I am??!

You may remember my problem over the census question concerning religion, where I was confused as to whether I could really tick the box for "Christian" given that I didn't really believe in some of that religion's basic tenets, and yet I felt equally uncertain about saying "no religion".  As I said then, what I really wanted was some way of saying "I believe it's possible there is a God, but not that He intercedes in our everyday life, and that therefore the Christian church is barking up a gumtree". Well, I've now discovered that there is a word that precisely covers this point of view - it's called Deism.  I can't remember whether that option appeared on the census form, but at least it gives me something to possibly write in, if we get another census.

No comments: