Saturday, May 09, 2015

General election result.

Well - did you see that coming??  Not being wise after the event, but I did think that there would be a late swing to the Tories, as there was in 1992, but I didn't think it would be anywhere near as big as it was. My private thought was that they might end up with between 290 and 300 seats.  And I do feel sorry for the LibDems who seem to have been soundly punished - I'm not quite sure what for.  Miliband I think was always doomed right from the time he was elected leader despite not being the choice of either the MPs or the party, but being selected purely on the union vote. For many he could never shake off the lable of "Red Ed".  Despite all the fuss, I always thought the SNP was somewhat of an irrelevance as far as Westminster politics was concerned, although they could certainly have been a nuisance and it may well be that their portrayal as "the bogeymen" did take votes from Labour outside Scotland.  UKIP - where do they go now? Assuming that we have the promised in/out referendum on EU membership, and assuming - as I believe - that this results in a vote to stay in, what is left for them? And I never really understood what the Greens were all about.  So, the people have spoken and we shall see what happens.

No comments: