Tuesday, December 23, 2014

And the viewers said...

I have sympathy with those who are criticising the award of BBC's Sports Personality of the Year to Lewis Hamilton rather than Rory McIlroy.  I didn't watch the programme (it's got far too X-Factor-ish these past years) but had I voted I would definitely have gone for McIlroy.  Not that I've got anything against Hamilton - I'm a Formula One fan and pleased that he won the drivers' championship, but as I'm sure he would be the first to acknowledge, his success was as much down to the car he was driving as to his driving prowess.  McIlroy's success on the other hand was 100% down to his own skill.  But then it was decided by a public vote and golf perhaps does not have the same "wow" factor as F1.  I think a panel of sports writers might well have come up with a different result.

No comments: