Saturday, November 22, 2014

Elementary

A couple of years ago I was a little scathing about the above programme, which is the US's attempt to update Sherlock Holmes - and comparisons with our "Sherlock" were obvious.  Well I've been watching it regularly - it's now in its third season - and I have to say I really enjoy it.  The point is that it does not in fact put itself forward as any sort of rival to "Sherlock", but as something completely different. Its genius is that it decided to make "Watson" a woman - thus introducing an undercurrent of sexual tension between the two main characters.  Because American TV series tend to be much longer than ours - often upwards of 20 episodes - this relationship has had time to develop and has become the main driver of the programme.  I apologise - I was wrong.  It's really good.

No comments: