Saturday, August 30, 2014

See you, Jimmy!

I've had my say on postal voting - more than once - and you'll have gathered that I'm agin it, or at least the modern approach where you no longer have to give a good reason in order to get one.  But the news that postal votes for the Scottish independence referendum are being put up for sale on eBay surprised even me.  I would have thought this is probably illegal, but have been unable to find any definitive answer to the question.  Media reports say "the police are investigating..." but no more. And the interesting theoretical question for me is, if it is illegal just who has broken the law?  Is it the person who puts it up for sale, or - presuming they use it - is it the person who buys it?  It's certainly illegal to turn up at a polling station pretending to be someone else and voting in their name but if somebody knowingly lets you do that, I'm not so sure if they have broken the law.  Watch this space, as they say.

No comments: