Monday, January 27, 2014

Music Man

Captain and Tennille (Daryl Dragon and Toni Tennille) who were big pop stars in the 70s have apparently divorced, although both are now getting on in years, and there are suggestions that this is the result of health problems, but this news has resulted in some very disparaging remarks from the younger generation - "their music sucked and still sucks" being among the mildest.  Well, let's see - their stuff was tuneful, with interesting harmonies, and you could hear every word of the lyrics. And today? - no melody, and usually based on three - or if you're really lucky, four chords, and the lyrics make no sense, which is just as well because you can't hear them anyway.  I make no bones about it - I was and still am a Captain & Tennille fan - for me, it's modern pop (I can't bring myself to use the word "music") that sucks.

No comments: