Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mini-Me

Not quite sure I see the point in the big supermarkets opening up "convenience stores" - which as I understand it are small local high street versions of their shops. And yet, clearly I am not seeing the full picture because more and more of these convenience stores are opening - indeed Sainsburys have now reached the point where they have more convenience stores than full-blown supermarkets.  We haven't got any (yet) round my way, so perhaps that's skewing my thinking. Indeed, the only local experience of that type was when Asda took over the Netto shops, and as far as I was concerned as a shopper, that was a disaster.  My nearest Netto wasn't really that close, but it was well worth a visit because of its low, low prices, but now it's an Asda selling stuff at Asda prices - a good 20+% higher than previously.  Not surprisingly I don't go any more.  So for the time being I remain unconvinced.

No comments: