Friday, August 30, 2013

Ding dong

Bishop's Castle is a pretty market town in Shropshire, close to the Welsh border in what is known as the Welsh Marches.  I've been there a few times - my wife had friends in Craven Arms and when we used to visit it was one of the places we would go to.  I can't say I remember the town hall clock but apparently it chimes every quarter-hour and this is now causing a bit of a local ruckus, with the town's main hotel asking that it be silenced during the night as it is disturbing its guests.  Seems reasonable to me, but in places like this tradition is very important, and the locals are queuing up to oppose such a move.  Given that the town depends heavily on tourism I would have thought that that should be the primary consideration - after all, most public chiming clocks are switched off between midnight and dawn.

No comments: