Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fair do's?

The official definition of a baby-boomer is anyone born between 1946 and 1964, and these are the people now being blamed for consuming more than their fair share of the welfare bill as they grow older.  So is this fair?  Well on that definition I am a pre-baby-boomer but I have to confess that I must agree that we oldies have in general been less affected by recent austerity measures than the public at large. If we take 2008 as the point at which things started to go pear-shaped, then I am certainly no worse off now than I was then, and I suspect that there would be few of you youngsters who could say that.  But is that reason to criticise or penalise us? One thing which I think you need to appreciate is that we crumblies are essentially stuck with what we've got.  Unlike those of working age, we don't really have any potential to try and improve our lot.  We are beggars at the table of the Government - we have to take what we are given.  Speaking for myself I am happy to pay my whack, but I would ask that you treat me fairly and don't hold me responsible for your problems.

No comments: