Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spend, spend, spend!

For a couple of years or so while the kids were little my wife had a job going round supermarkets doing stock control for various suppliers, and she learned and passed on to me the ways in which supermarkets use layout, lighting, aisle width and other tricks to get you to spend as much money in their shop as possible.  The one I could never understand was what she used to refer to as "endcaps" - these are the displays at the end of the aisles, as you turn the corner from one aisle to the next, and according to her are much prized by supermarkets as they generate getting on for double the revenue of stuff displayed in a straight aisle. Now I would imagine that most shoppers, like me, start at one end of the shop and go up and down the aisles in sequence, which means that you are bound to miss around half of these endcaps - if you're turning right you will miss the one on your left and vice versa. I'm sure the supermarkets have done their research and know what they are talking about, but I could never - and still can't - see it.

No comments: