Monday, October 29, 2012

If it's Monday, I must be a woman.

I posted a little time ago about the way "Fräulein" and "Mademoiselle" were being phased out as titles for unmarried women in Germany and France, and wondered how long it would be before "Miss" went the same way.  But Brighton and Hove council are proposing to go one better, and do away with  all gender titles - so no more Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms.  And their reasoning?  Forcing people to decide what sex they are is unfair on transsexuals.  Yes really!  Whether transsexuality is rife in Brighton I know not, but it seems a very strange idea.  I occasionally get letters which start "Dear D Random" - presumably because the writer is uncertain whether I'm male or female and it always sounds very clumsy and rather rude.  I don't mind people choosing which sex they prefer to be treated as, irrespective of what dangly bits they may or may not have, or even changing their minds about it on a regular basis, but not knowing - oh come on!!

No comments: