Monday, October 22, 2012

Passing by.

My local polling station is on my regular morning walk, so I've always popped in and voted whenever there's an election or referendum.  But I'm seriously thinking of breaking the habit of a lifetime and not bothering to take part in the forthcoming election for a Commissioner of Police.  Two reasons - firstly the candidates, to the extent that we know them, are all political animals (whether party or independent) who I fear if elected will be following their own political agenda, and secondly, as I have mentioned before in these pages, I have an instinctive mistrust of elected officials, who are likely to be more interested in their prospects of re-election than in doing what is best for the community.  And as there will be no provision (as far as I am aware) on the ballot paper to say "I don't want a Police Commissioner" I shall not be taking part.

No comments: