Saturday, September 24, 2011

E equals MC what??

Big kerfuffle because scientists in Italy claim to have discovered subatomic particles travelling at faster than the speed of light, which it is said, if true, would demolish Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity.  Now I am not a nuclear physicist, and only know what I read, but I am sure I read somewhere some time ago that Einstein's Theory did not mean that nothing can travel faster than light, but simply that nothing can accelerate past the speed of light.  It does not preclude the possibility that a particle can be created already travelling faster than light.Indeed, as I understand it, if such a particle were to exist, it could not decelerate to a sub-light speed - in other words, the speed of light is a barrier which cannot be crossed in either direction.  I shall be watching this one with interest. 

No comments: