Monday, February 01, 2010

Why did we bother?

What an utterly depressing appearance by Tony Blair before the Iraq Inquiry the other day. OK so we elected him (or more accurately we elected those who elected him) to make these sort of decisions, so he was simply doing what he was paid to do. OK, so he believed - some people might think naïvely - what he was telling us about the threat that Saddam posed. And OK, if the war had gone well, we wouldn't be beating ourselves up about it and having this Inquiry - but it didn't and we are. So what did I want - what could he have said or done to make me feel better about things? And the answer is, I don't really know - I just hoped that he would have said something to make me feel that he understood how I - and so many others - feel. But apart from an almost throw-away remark that he regretted that the war was "divisive" I heard nothing to indicate that he had any appreciation that there could possibly be any point of view other than his own. Totally predictable, and totally depressing.

No comments: