Sunday, April 29, 2007

In the bag.

As an example of how to take a basically worthy idea and then lose the plot, look no further than this business of the Sainsbury's "I'm not a plastic bag" bag. What apparently started as an attempt to provide shoppers with an alternative and environmentally friendly way to carry their shopping has turned into an unseemly scramble for what has become a must-have fashion accessory, with examples appearing on eBay for hundreds of pounds - and is anybody actually using them as shopping bags? Indeed, my weekly shop invariably needs four or five bags to carry it home, so even at the base price of £5 a pop, that's £20-25 and for that sort of money, I wouldn't be using them for dirty vegetables and leaky salad containers. I think I'll wait until it comes out in paperback!

No comments: