Wednesday, May 31, 2006

...not sauce for the gander

So the House of Lords has ruled that, on divorce, wives are entitled to "compensation" for loss of earnings as a result of giving up their career prospects to look after the home and children. Seems reasonable, but there's an unwritten assumption here that only women make career sacrifices for the benefit of the marriage. I'm sure I can't be alone in saying that, had I not been married with a relatively young family, my career would have taken a different course, and I would probably have ended up in a far better paid job. Problem was it would have meant moving to London, or commuting from here in the Midlands, and clearly either way it would have had a big effect (and after discussing it, I decided a detrimental effect) on my wife and children. So I passed it up. Like I say, I'm sure there are plenty of other husbands who have made similar decisions. So how is that taken into account? Who compensates us?

No comments: