Saturday, January 21, 2006

Black Country Humour

This blog seems to have been getting rather heavy lately, so let's lighten up a little. I come from the Black Country, and the dialect here is a very thick one, and difficult to get down phonetically, but here's an old joke which used to be told by Dolly Allen (a Black Country comedienne, sadly no longer with us), and I've done my best to transcribe it as she would have said it -

My owd mon 'ad this terrible cuff, so 'e guz t'the doctor.
"Doctor, I've got this cuff", 'e sez.
The doctor examines 'im, then sez "Rite, ere's what I want y't'do. Goo 'um and find yerself a big saucepon. Pour in a pint o' caster ile. Then add 'arf a dozen senna pods, and a couple o' tablespoons - tablespoons, mind, the big 'uns - o' cascara. Bile it all up, let it go code, 'oik aht the senna pods, then drink it all down in one goo."
"Orite" sez me owd mon "If yo sez so, doctor. But will it cure me cuff?"
And the doctor sez "Cuff? After yo've drunk that, yo wo DARE cuff!"

No comments: