Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Here I stand

I think I would like to live in Monaco - nice place. clean and tidy, pleasant climate,  But the idea that in order to fulfill my dream, all I have to do is somehow get there, and once there, plonk myself down on the nearest piece of ground and then say to the authorities - well, here I am, it's now down to you to look after me - is obviously mad.  And yet, wherever your sympathies lie, isn't this exactly what these various migrants are trying to do?  Whether it's those trying to cross the Med to get to Europe, or this "caravan" coming up through South America to try and reach the USA, the idea seems to be that all they have to do is get "there" and then they get some sort of "squatters' rights".  And if "there" doesn't want them.....?  I'm no supporter of Trump, but at least he's made America's position clear and perhaps Europe should consider following suit?

No comments: