Monday, October 08, 2018

Tipping the scales

If I were American (which, thank God, I'm not) I think I would be very concerned about the Supreme Court, as personified by its most recent judge, Justice Kavanaugh.  It's not about whether he may or may not have done something foolish when he was a teenager (didn't we all?).  It's not even about his very un-judge-like appearances and utterances over the last weeks.  What bothers me is that he is seen as a "conservative" judge who will tip the balance of the court that way, which when you think about it, is an unspoken acceptance that the Justices who make up the court are prejudiced and will not approach any case which comes before them with an open mind, but already have an inbuilt bias depending on whether they are "conservative" or "liberal".  And surely, that is something which should be worrying to everybody, of whichever political persuasion.  What you want from a judge, above all else, is an open mind.

No comments: