Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Budget

What have we wine-drinkers done to offend the Government?  Duty on beer, cider and spirits all frozen, but not wine, which will be more expensive as a result.  No explanation given, as far as I am aware, but I cannot see how wine-drinkers pose more of a risk to society than beer drinkers - unless of course it's to do with the Scots and Buckfast Tonic Wine which they are notorious for imbibing in vast quantities.  All I know is that my bottle of red "plonk" which used to set me back about £2.50, now is just over £4, and presumably will be going up as a result.  I have friends who live in the Canaries and can get a litre (note, a litre - that's a bottle and a half) of perfectly acceptable plonk for just under £1 - somehow just doesn't seem fair.

No comments: