Monday, September 10, 2018

Tennis

I have to come clean - I've never had any time for the Williams sisters.  Don't know why - can't point to any particular incident - just don't like them, and am always quietly pleased when they lose.  So given this, how do I feel about Serena's behaviour in losing the US Open final?  More specifically, was she the subject of discrimination?  Had she been a man, would she have been treated in the same way?  And I think the answer to that is - yes, but with a caveat.  Had she been a man, I don't think she would have behaved as she did - her outburst was essentially feminine.  And if you see that as misogynistic, so be it.  John McEnroe apart maybe, I don't think a male player would have reacted like that. So - and remember, you have to take into account that I don't like the woman - I think she was the author of her own misfortune.

No comments: