Saturday, March 24, 2018

Tipping

What a minefield!  I fundamentally object to paying someone extra for simply doing their job.  If they clearly go "above and beyond", or perhaps if it's coming up to Christmas, I might feel differently, but otherwise, no.  But this of course pre-supposes that they are being paid a fair wage by their employer. We hear of more and more cases where employers pay the minimum they can get away with, on the basis that their employees will "make it up in tips".  And then, if I have received particularly good service and wish to reward it, how do I know that what I leave will go to the person who provided that service?  The majority of establishments require all tips to be put in a kitty which is then shared out between all the employees.  And abroad, there are countries where you are expected to tip, and will be treated badly if you don't.  Then again - do you tip the pizza delivery boy?  Like I say - what a minefield!

No comments: