Friday, February 02, 2018

Can you believe your eyes?

Wooah!  Ripples in a pond.  I was round my son's last night when my granddaughter grabbed my hand, hauled me off into the back garden, pointed at the sky and said "There!  You said there would be no full moon this February, and there it is!"  So yes, I did say that - see last Monday's post - and she does deserve an explanation, so here it is.  Like many cosmic events (we've already discussed solstices and equinoxes) a full moon is a precise moment in time, and the one we were looking at in her back garden actually took place at just before 1.30 in the morning of last Wednesday, January 31st.  But unless you have a particularly powerful telescope you will not notice any difference for a couple or more days, and the moon will still appear to be "full".  So we were both right - it all depends on what you mean by a "full moon"

No comments: