Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Am I bovvered?

I'm struggling to get a handle on Brexit.  I thought it was simple - we voted to leave, and it was just a matter of sorting out the hows and whens, but then the concepts of hard-Brexit and soft-Brexit began to be talked about.  And at that point, I sort of tuned out and let them all get on with it.  But now I've been looking at it again.  My understanding is that hard-Brexit holds that taking control of our borders, and who is allowed in, is paramount, and if this means accepting that the economy and our ability to trade with the rest of the world will suffer, then so be it.  Soft-Brexit is the reverse - the economy and trade must be protected at all costs, and if that means that we will have to accept limitations on our ability to control our borders - so be it. Of course, things aren't helped by the fact that there's a power struggle going on in the Government at the moment, and Brexit is being used as a cover for that.  Think I'll tune out again!!

No comments: