Thursday, July 06, 2017

Consideration?

The idea that parents should be fined if their children are late for school has raised its head again.  Of course, you need to take any newspaper report with a pinch of salt - it may be that the question of a fine only arises in the case of persistent lateness - but, particularly perhaps in the case of persistent lateness, surely the question of why arises?  There may be good reasons why a parent finds it difficult - if not impossible - to get their child to the school on time.  So should the school make allowances in such cases?  When I was a kid, and due to circumstances outside my, or my mother's control, I had to change from being a boarder to being a day-boy I was faced with a three bus journey to get to school, and the school were good enough to allow me to miss morning prayers and get there for first lesson - ten minutes late.  They could have been arsey, but weren't.  I don't know what their attitude would have been today but I was grateful that they were prepared to meet me halfway.  Give and take, eh??

No comments: