Monday, April 10, 2017

I'm the Head Teacher, and what I say, goes!

So The Supreme Court has sided with the government over the right (or rather, non-right) of parents to take their children on holiday during term time.  Can't say I'm surprised, although I hope there was no improper arm-twisting.  The crucial point at the earlier hearing turned on the meaning of "regular attendance" (see 17/5/15) which the High Court accepted was an objective test and in this particular instance would be met by an attendance record of 90% or more. The Supreme Court took a different view and said "regular attendance" meant whatever the school said it did - in other words it was for the school to make its own rules on the matter.  You know my views - I think far too much power is being given to schools and far too little consideration is being given to parental views and wishes.  But I accept I'm clearly out of step here...

No comments: