Wednesday, October 05, 2016

What price privacy?

In my youth, I fancied myself - as many young people do - as an author.  I quickly realised I was rubbish, but if I had succeeded, I was going to publish under a pseuonym.  Why?  Well, partly because I thought the romantic comedies I wanted to write would stand a better chance if the author was believed to be a woman, but mainly because I value my privacy and wanted to control if, when and how I revealed my true identity.  Why am I going on like this?  Because I have great sympathy for Elena Ferrante, a noted novelist, whose true identity has been "unmasked" by an Italian "investigative journalist".  He seems to have done it just for the sake of doing it, saying that she is a "public figure" and that her readers have "a right to know". Well, do they?  Did she not have the right to remain anonymous? Where do you stand on this?

No comments: