Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This land is my land...

I own my home and the land it's built on - it's freehold, in legal jargon.  But do I own it?  Well, no, strictly I don't - it belongs, as does all the land in the United Kingdom, to the Queen.  The concept goes back to feudal times, but is still operational.  And it doesn't stop there  The Queen is also Queen of Australia, and therefore strictly speaking owns all of the land there.  And then, she's also Queen of Canada, New Zealand and various other Commonwealth countries.  In fact. she owns a hell of a lot of land - it's been estimated that she owns some 17% of all the land on earth.  I think the next biggest landowner is the King of Saudi Arabia followed by various other Middle Eastern rulers.  Of course her ownership is purely technical these days, but it's worth remembering...

No comments: