Saturday, October 08, 2016

I look up to him...

It seems some people have been questioning why it is that Prince George always appears in public in short trousers.  And it has been suggested that it's all a matter of class - to be wearing long trousers before about the age of eight is apparently seen as "suburban", which it seems is code for middle-class.  And royalty would not wish to be seen as middle-class.  Well I don't know about that, but what I do remember from my childhood is that what today we refer to as primary school was then referred to as "infants and juniors" and the distinction was that you were in the infants for your first three years and then you went up to junior school.  And my recollection is certainly that infants had to wear short trousers whereas juniors could wear long ones.  Didn't realise we were class-conscious, but apparently we were!

No comments: