Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Euro 2016

Were you as disappointed as I was?  OK, it wasn't helped by England going out so early in such a depressing way, but I thought the general standard of football was pretty dire.  The fact that Iceland and Wales will be the teams that most people will remember I think says it all.  This new format, where teams that finish third in their group still have a chance of progressing and which was supposed (so I hear) to make for more adventurous, attacking play obviously didn't work as planned.  An average of just over 2 goals per match is on the low side, and the fact that less that one goal per match was scored in the first half supports that idea that most teams went into their matches with a "let's get to half time at 0-0" mentality.  No, not a competition to live in the memory, I'm afraid.

No comments: