Monday, June 27, 2016

Reflections...

So having taken the weekend to mull the situation over, how do I see things now?  Well, first off, I think we're in a real mess and I don't see an easy way out.  We're in a mess because nobody really saw this coming.  The general feeling was that Remain would win a reasonably comfortable victory, and it appears that no concrete practical plans were made for the alternative.  Secondly I wonder to what extent this was in essence a mid-term by-election result - in other words was this just a case of people using the opportunity to give the Government a kicking without any real thought for the consequences.  Third, while I would hardly characterise 52% - 48% as a "decisive" result, this is democracy - there will be winners and losers and the losers have to accept it and take it on the chin.  I'm not entirely sure why Scotland should consider that somehow this doesn't apply to them. And if we accept Scotland as a special case. how about Northern Ireland?  How about London? How about me? Where does this stop? And lastly, what about the kids?  My grandchildren are furious that their future has been determined (destroyed as they see it) by an older generation who won't have to live with the consequences.  Like I say - a mess.

No comments: