Saturday, June 11, 2016

No point in upsetting them?

Apparently a suggestion that the England football squad should take the opportunity while on the continent to pay a visit to the memorial to the battle of the Somme.  This would involve a round trip of some three hours, and has been declined on the basis that it would be "too draining" for the players.  This has resulted in many sarcastic comments of the "ah-diddums-den" type.  But I wonder whether the "too draining" comment necessarily referred to the journey.  I remember when on holiday in Crete going to a war cemetery at Souda Bay and it destroyed me - the sight of all those regimented white headstones - many simply bearing the inscription "Known To God" reduced me to a blubbering wreck and even the memory is enough to bring tears to my eyes.  I live pretty close to the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas but have never dared go there because I know how it would affect me.  So maybe this is why it was considered to be not a good idea?

No comments: