Tuesday, June 21, 2016

For God's sake, let's settle it!

There's this weird theory going round that the best outcome of the referendum on Thursday would be a narrow win for the Remain side.  The argument is that this would give the Government ammunition to go back to Brussels and say "Look, we damn nearly voted to leave - there will be pressure for another vote, you need to give in to more of out demands if this is to be avoided".  I see the logic but I hope that doesn't happen.  In my book, the best result would be a clear win for either side.  On balance, I'm still favouring Remain, but I would rather have a clear Leave victory than a close run thing.  What I want above all is for the matter to be decided once and for all - the worst possible outcome would be for things to continue as they have for so many years now, with the "Europe issue" as a sort of poisonous scab that we keep picking at, and I'm afraid that a narrow win for either side would probably have just that result.

No comments: