Thursday, May 12, 2016

Has he got a cat?

Not being a Londoner and having only a very superficial interest in party politics, I didn't take any great interest in the contest for the Mayor of London.  The outcome is being seen by some as a triumph for Labour and a counterweight to their poor performance in the local and regional elections. Well, the winning candidate was indeed the choice of the Labour party, and the losing one that of the Conservatives, but was it that simple?  As a somewhat disinterested outside observer, it seemed to me you could equally see it as a contest between a basically decent bloke who happened to be a Muslim with - no surprise - connections, past and present, with the Muslim world, and a rich boy who - as it appeared to me - seemed to think that he had some sort of God-given right to win, and turned rather nasty when it became clear he might not.  So, like I say, I am not a Londoner, but I think they made the right choice.

No comments: