Monday, March 21, 2016

Goodbyeee

Flicking through the channels the other day, I found myself watching that fantastic final episode of "Blackadder Goes Forth".  Seen it umpteen times - including its original broadcast, but had never really appreciated before that perhaps the crucial quote is Captain Darling's when he finds himself (unwillingly) at the "front" just before going over the top.  After Baldrick and George have both confessed to feeling scared, Blackadder says "How are you feeling Darling?" and he comes up with what I feel must be the "everyman" response - "Erm, not all that good, Blackadder -- rather hoped I'd get through the whole show; go back to work at Pratt & Sons; keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen; marry Doris... Made a note in my diary on my way here. Simply says,"Bugger." And there I think he must have been speaking for so many at the time.

No comments: