Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Just because Doris Day sings it...

...doesn't make it right.  In one of my other internet personas, I write piano arrangements of popular songs (click Michael's Music and Memories on the left if you're interested) and at present I'm doing what I can with "Che (or que) sera, sera", which was a big hit for Ms Kappelhoff back in the day. Although the song-writers decided that "que" would be better understood by Hispanic Americans, it started out life as "che" and was supposed to be the motto of an Italian family in the film which featured the song, but I was surprised to find that it isn't proper Italian, and in fact it doesn't exactly belong to any language! It's supposed to mean "Whatever will be, will be" but in Italian this would be "Quello che sarà, sarà", in Spanish "Lo que será, será", and in French "Ce qui sera, sera".  So it's a hodge-podge of all three but if you go with "que" instead of "che" it is closest to Spanish.

No comments: