Saturday, October 10, 2015

If s/he said it, it must be true??

If I go into a police station and make an allegation - of historic sexual abuse or anything else - should I be believed? Not automatically, no!  I should be listened to, and what I say should be noted but at this stage my allegations are just that.  The police should then investigate what I have told them and look for evidence which either supports my claims or contradicts them.  But this idea that anyone who comes forward with allegations of historic sexual abuse must be assumed to be telling the truth is just plain wrong.  It isn't a question of belief or non-belief - it's a question of evidence, or the lack of it.  Policemen are human and will have their own prejudices and form their own conclusions, but if they're doing their job properly they should keep these to themselves and carry out an unbiased investigation.

No comments: