Tuesday, September 22, 2015

An Inspector Calls

I studied it at school, studied it again when one of my kids had to do it for GCSE, and believe it or not, now one of my grandkids has it as a set book (well, play).  I've seen it on stage, and saw the film (Alistair Sim), so what did I think of the recent BBC adaptation?  Well, disappointed, I have to say - why didn't they just stick to the script?  You got the impression that they thought that as it was television, they had to be different somehow.  The film suffered from much the same problem but at least it didn't keep interrupting the action to do it like the TV did.  J B Priestley wrote a tight, claustrophobic little drama and how do you improve on perfection.  Answer - you don't even try!  Just as a point of interest, this play - seen as quintessentially English - was given its first performance in Moscow.

No comments: