Friday, May 15, 2015

Lot of fuss about nothing.

I still don't understand the basis on which the the courts decided that the "black spider" correspondence between Prince Charles and various public officials had to be published, but now that it has, can I ask what purpose it has served?  So Prince Charles has views on various things - well, big surprise!  It has been suggested that as a member of the Royal Family and potentially our next monarch, he should have kept these to himself.  But what's the basis for that idea?  In our unwritten constitution, the monarch has the right to "advise and warn" and I cannot see anything in the letters to suggest that he went beyond doing just that.  I'm sure the Queen makes her views known to the Prime Minister at their weekly meetings but this remains confidential between the two of them.  And these letters should in my view have been treated with similar confidentiality.  So I ask again - what purpose was served by forcing their publication?

No comments: